The village was inhabited for the
first time in April 1958 by people coming from different villages. The village
had a population of 648 people. In 1959 the villagers voluntarily built the
first primary school. The school was rented to the Directorate of Knowledges in
the Province of Mosul which furnished the school. In 1960-1961, the school was
officially founded in. It started with just three classes which
increased later on to six classes. It gradually became the only school in the
area and was attended by students from the neighbouring villages. In the
beginning of the 70s of the last century an intermediate school was built
carrying the name Bakhetme Intermediate School. This was followed by a health
care centre was. The village began to develop in various aspects. Then the
villagers built three churches, Mar Daniel, Ave Mary’s Church and a small
church was built on the ruins of Mar Daniel’s Monastery
to the north west of the city.
The village was subject to
displacement during the notorious Anfal Campaign launched by the last regime.
It was destroyed in 1987 and almost all its inhabitants were moved to the
Mansouriya Complex in the District of Sumeil.
Bakhetme was covered by the
reconstruction campaign launched by Mr. Sarkis Aghajan. On his instructions,
the Higher Committee for Christian Affairs HCCA in Duhok built 152 new houses
and a new church in addition to renovating the old one. The committee also
built a health centre, a school, and a community hall. The village was provided
with access roads and linked to the national grid. It was also provided with a
power supply generator. The committee also carried out three water supply
projects. Through these achievements, Mr. Aghajan restored the village
back to its former state.